Thursday, September 2, 2010

Unsprung and Under Water

The 1st of September is the first day of spring in Australia and I'm not quite sure why as pretty much everywhere else the change of season follows the equinox and therefore falls on the 21st. But it seems that nature knows best because it doesn't feel ready for spring just yet. The cherry blossoms have started to pop and the wattle is in frothy splendour but it just won't stop raining! I think we have broken some records for August this year, the wettest or coldest or both since... well, since the last time....and we will be grateful that the dams and tanks are full in a couple of months time when it is 40 degrees and we can't remember the last time it rained.
Meanwhile, in the studio, I have a new toy, after years of trying various print making methods with limited success and more recently having a frustrating time with detailed decoration aggravating my tendonitis I felt that I could finally justify the purchase of a Gocco machine (you can follow the link for a detailed explanation of the process) but basically this little orange box is allows me to create screen prints from any image that I draw, photograph or scan and creates endless possibilities for decoration. It has taken a bit of trial and error to work out what type of images work best and how many I can fit on a screen to be economical without compromising the images but I have some first results which I'm quite pleased with, here unfired...
....and one from the first kiln load
I'm really enjoying the retro look that these have so I'm looking forward to scanning some images from a 1950's collection of Australian Womens Weekly Magazines that I have been trying to find an application for for ages

Lastly, I just have to show off my new wombats, the photos aren't great but hopefully you can get the idea, when I put the eyes on they just made me smile, which is always a lovely surprise! I've just put some for sale in The Urban Cow and I'm hoping they will be as popular as the little birds...Bilbys next.

4 comments:

ang design said...

awww too cute ali...and groovy plates too there'll be printing galore now ...:)) tech ?ion you c6-ing the TMK?? I'm thinking of adding some white ware to my collection for summer..

Alison Arnold said...

Yep ang, TMK all at cone 6 no probs

Marianne said...

I really enjoy your blogs Ali - both the photos and the words. Any chance of more frequent posts? It's great to see what you (and your friends)are up to Down There on the other side of the world!

Rose Maguire said...

Love the images Ali, the Wombats should go like hot cakes and I love the printing too, Fantastic!
And now I know what to do with all those lemons sitting aimlesly in my fruitbowl.